Naija Talk community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Naija Talk community

Ghana Lotto Results, F-t-a Satellite Technology, Sport forcast, ICT forum.

HomePublicationsSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Network Engineers Arena

Go down 
+4
Starpryde
flashyberry
Drdanskills
heavenboundpkay
8 posters
AuthorMessage
heavenboundpkay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
heavenboundpkay

Sex : m

Network Engineers Arena Empty
PostSubject: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-05, 01:41

All professional and certified/knowledgeable Network Admins/Engineers/Assistants to share ideas on modern simple and complex network design and configuration solutions. Relevant questions are invited from anyone
Back to top Go down
heavenboundpkay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
heavenboundpkay

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-05, 02:08

There was a guy that wanted to watch d*tv,purchased an account but couldnt afford the expensive airtel routers which could support Edge in the area he lived. But he owned a small wireless adaptor(MiFi).He could also afford a cheaper TPlink M3020 router (but this router doesnt support 2G networks). The MiFi supports 2G but had no network port from which to pull a cat5 to the decoder. So we had to bridge the wireless WiFi with the tplink which had one switchport(enough to get a connection to the decoder)Similarly, many folks have more than one wireless router but still can't extend the range of their wireless signals and get online anywhere in and around the house, especially those living in duplexes. It's important to learn how to Bridge two wireless routers, as a means to extend your signal or even combine a MiFi(which has no switchports with another wireless router that has switchports so you can pull cables to connect your desktops, printers, game consoles etc

The most important thing to do when attempting to bridge one router with the other, is to note SSID, encryption type, password and the broadcast channel of your primary router. To establish the bridge, just replace the information on the target router with the same parameters(SSID, channel width, password encryption type and passphrase) as noted on the primary. On your target wireless router, you need to change the Wireless function to either BRIDGE, CLIENT OR REPEATER for this to work. After that is done, your Bridge AccessPoint(the target wireless router) can be placed anywhere meters away from the primary to further extend the range of the original signal broadcast from the primary MiFi or wireless router.Now the new AP can relay signals, and you can pull cables for your connections within the LAN.
Back to top Go down
Drdanskills
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Drdanskills

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-05, 02:13

Nice.
Back to top Go down
http://drdanskills@yahoo.com
flashyberry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
flashyberry

Sex : male

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-05, 06:10

nice post brother, but a picture of it to enable us understand better
Back to top Go down
http://www.guruslodge.com
heavenboundpkay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
heavenboundpkay

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-05, 15:04

flashyberry wrote:
nice post brother, but a picture of it to enable us understand better
You indicate any area you have difficulty understanding and I will explain. Pictures will surely come as we go along.
Back to top Go down
flashyberry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
flashyberry

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-05, 18:01

thnks @ heavenbond guy
Back to top Go down
heavenboundpkay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
heavenboundpkay

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-06, 10:15

Never use WEP(Wired Equivalent Privacy) encryption to secure your wireless network.It offers no real security. You can start by using the AES and TKIP technologies like WPA/WPA-2(Wireless Protected Access), and choose between personal and enterprise.
Back to top Go down
flashyberry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
flashyberry

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-06, 10:41

i knw dat
Back to top Go down
heavenboundpkay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
heavenboundpkay

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-06, 10:43

flashyberry wrote:
i knw dat
Good for you..go teach somebody who doesn't
Back to top Go down
Starpryde
Amateur
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-06, 20:20

I have a Belkin Router, the thing is how can I use it to share my 3G internet connection form my Laptop.
Back to top Go down
smile2012
Ultimate
Ultimate

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-06, 22:52

Gudjob here...keep it up!!
Back to top Go down
heavenboundpkay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
heavenboundpkay

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-06, 23:22

Starpryde wrote:
I have a Belkin Router, the thing is how can I use it to share my 3G internet connection form my Laptop.
It's simple really. First you should get a crossover cat5e cable ready, and then you need to lemme know the particular model of your Belkin Wireless router, so I can serve you other configuration info later.

Now, for the basic settings, we are now assuming your laptop has become the Default Gateway. So you are gonna need the IP address of your router to use as the Default Gateway under IP settings on your router.The Laptop uses an external IP(most likely in the 10.201.xxx.xxx range) to access the internet. And since your router wants to tap into that same internet connection, you just have to enable ICS(Internet Connection Sharing) on your PC, go to Network and Sharing Center on your PC, View the active Wireless Connection Status, select Details. Now take note of your PC's IP Address(should be in 192.168.xxx.xxx format) and leave everything else as it is.
Now on your router, after you login into the AdminPage, navigate to DHCP Settings, and change the IP Address to one that falls in the same subnet as your PC. Now turn DHCP off on your router, save your settings, and reboot. You should have your router connected to the network now, and you can pull cables to end devices as you wish. Goodluck
Back to top Go down
smile2012
Ultimate
Ultimate

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-06, 23:28

Keep it up!! Bro
Back to top Go down
heavenboundpkay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
heavenboundpkay

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-06, 23:46

smile2012 wrote:
Gudjob here...keep it up!!
Noted and Appreciated
Back to top Go down
smile2012
Ultimate
Ultimate

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-06, 23:48

No p
Back to top Go down
heavenboundpkay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
heavenboundpkay

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-07, 08:41

If you are constantly experience problems with your wireless network, and you find out there are many other wireless networks around you in the neighbourhood, consider changing your wireless channel on your wireless router. When different wireless devices beam signals via the same channel, this can lead to serious connectivity and performance problems.
Back to top Go down
Starpryde
Amateur
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-07, 11:53

heavenboundpkay wrote:
Starpryde wrote:
It's simple really. First you should get a crossover cat5e cable ready, and then you need to lemme know the particular model of your Belkin Wireless router, so I can serve you other configuration info later.

Now, for the basic settings, we are now assuming your laptop has become the Default Gateway. So you are gonna need the IP address of your router to use as the Default Gateway under IP settings on your router.The Laptop uses an external IP(most likely in the 10.201.xxx.xxx range) to access the internet. And since your router wants to tap into that same internet connection, you just have to enable ICS(Internet Connection Sharing) on your PC, go to Network and Sharing Center on your PC, View the active Wireless Connection Status, select Details. Now take note of your PC's IP Address(should be in 192.168.xxx.xxx format) and leave everything else as it is.
Now on your router, after you login into the AdminPage, navigate to DHCP Settings, and change the IP Address to one that falls in the same subnet as your PC. Now turn DHCP off on your router, save your settings, and reboot. You should have your router connected to the network now, and you can pull cables to end devices as you wish. Goodluck
Thanks for this response. My Router model is Belkin G+. am on my way rigth now to get the cross cable.
Back to top Go down
Starpryde
Amateur
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-07, 12:00

or better still, is the cable that come with the Router a cross cable?
Back to top Go down
heavenboundpkay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
heavenboundpkay

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-07, 12:57

Starpryde wrote:
heavenboundpkay wrote:
Starpryde wrote:

Thanks for this response. My Router model is Belkin G+. am on my way rigth now to get the cross cable.
Well, thats great. The cable that comes with a wireless router is straighthrough, cos such routers also serve as layer3 switches. So get the crossover cat5, and let's get the network setup for you. Goodluck
Back to top Go down
heavenboundpkay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
heavenboundpkay

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-08, 00:12

Rebooting your internet enabled devices every once in a while can greatly improve network performance and correct connection problems and packet timeouts. Your tablemt, smartphone, laptop, shouldn't always be set to sleep, sometimes restart and get the cache and other settings refreshed.
Back to top Go down
Twogoods
Expert
Expert
Twogoods

Sex : Male

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-08, 02:30

Thank u
Back to top Go down
http://www.fb.com/inforNaij
heavenboundpkay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
heavenboundpkay

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-13, 01:02

Samsung Allshare app makes wireless sharing much more interesting, as you can wirelessly connect your samsung tv, laptop, tablet, phone etc by hooking them all up on the same network and enabling Allshare. Sharing of files, playing music and watching videos via wireless connections has never been easier
Back to top Go down
Twogoods
Expert
Expert
Twogoods

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-13, 05:00

heavenboundpkay wrote:
Samsung Allshare app makes wireless sharing much more interesting, as you can wirelessly connect your samsung tv, laptop, tablet, phone etc by hooking them all up on the same network and enabling Allshare. Sharing of files, playing music and watching videos via wireless connections has never been easier
with wifi or what connection do u mean
Back to top Go down
http://www.fb.com/inforNaij
Precitec
Amateur
Amateur
Precitec

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-13, 08:43

Yes Twogoods.....,it's WIFI.
Back to top Go down
http://9jatc.com/precitec
flashyberry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
flashyberry

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-13, 16:16

engineers on point
Back to top Go down
microsat
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-13, 17:09

What are the networking devices or equipments you need to setup a mini cyber cafe?, what network topology is best? and what program do you need to design a firewall program to protect the systems and or workstation?
Back to top Go down
heavenboundpkay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
heavenboundpkay

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty2014-02-13, 17:53

devices and topology is usually a matter of personal taste and business plan. But generally, you would need a Switch(with enough switchports that can take care of your nodes), A 3G Router, an ADSL modem(if you are going to use a telephone line from your ISP), An AccessPoint(most 3G routers come with wireless),and some cat5e terminated cables. Star topology is the best for a mini cafe. You would normally use handy cafe or cybercafe pro softwares to manage the workstations, and since you would be using Windows, well, firewall is already integrated into all Windows Operating Systems. If you still want added protection against attackers, you might wanna try the Cisco ASA 5500 firewalls(expensive though).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Network Engineers Arena   Network Engineers Arena Empty

Back to top Go down

Network Engineers Arena
Page 1 of 1