Naija Talk community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Naija Talk community

Ghana Lotto Results, F-t-a Satellite Technology, Sport forcast, ICT forum.

HomePublicationsSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Benjamin (Black Scorpion) Adekunle dies at 78

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
smile2012
Ultimate
Ultimate

Sex : male

Benjamin (Black Scorpion) Adekunle dies at 78 Empty
PostSubject: Benjamin (Black Scorpion) Adekunle dies at 78   Benjamin (Black Scorpion) Adekunle dies at 78 Empty2014-09-14, 10:11

•Tributes pour in for the civil war hero
By Clifford Ndujihe, Ola Ajayi & Johnbosco Agbakwuru
Civil war hero, Brigadier-General Benjamin Adekunle, is dead.
He was aged 78.
Tributes have been pouring in since his death was announced yesterday morning.
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo, who also served in the Nigeria Army at the same time with Adekunle expressed shock at the death of his colleague.
Senate President, David Mark, state governors and prominent Nigerians have also paid tribute to the oncer gallant soldier.
Obasanjo in shock over Adekunle’s death
Obasanjo, in a statement in Abeokuta, said the contribution of Adekunle during the country’s civil war was no-mean effort which would be remembered for a long a time.
According to Obasanjo, “I received with shock the news of the death of my colleague, friend and course mate, Gen. Benjamin Adekunle today. I can recall with fond memories what he was able to achieve as a course mate at Teshi, Accra, Ghana.”
Mark mourns the civil war veteran
Senator Mark, in a condolence message through his Special Adviser, Media and Publicity, Kola Ologbondiyan, in Abuja, Saturday, described the late Gen. Adekunle as one Nigerian who fought vehemently to keep the nation as a united and indivisible country.
Mark, in the condolence message to the immediate family, government and the people of Oyo State, said the retired general recorded great success in his military career.
Recalling the role played by the late Adekunle during the Civil war, the Senate President said, “He (late Gen. Adekunle) led the Third Marine Commando Division with such great panache and determination and precision.
“He was a father, a brother, a substantive army General and a patriotic Nigerian. We are pained at the news of his death.”
Adeyinka Adebayo: A gentleman and an officer
Speaking on the demise of Adekunle, former Military Governor of Western Nigeria, General Robert Adekunle Adebayo (rtd), said though the deceased was a very junior officer o him, he was as a gentleman and a very good officer.
“I regret that he died now. May God grant the family the fortitude to bear the loss,” he added
Eziefe: His soul shall rest in peace
On his part, former Governor of Anambra State, Dr Chukwuemeka Ezeife said: “The soul of Benjamin Adekunle, the Black Scorpion with the soul of genuine patriots and believers shall rest in perfect peace. General Adekunle fighting on the Nigeria side was performing a civic duty. I think he did well what he had to do. And it is clear that God was not angry with nor were men. We need such models in Nigeria.”
General Jerry Useni – we have lost a great man
Saddened by the news, Lt General Jeremaiah Useni (rtd) said: “ What a pity. We have lost a great man. He was a great warrior and soldier. He made great efforts to keep Nigeria united. I ask his family to take heart and believe in God. The country should not forget him. They should remember him. The armed forces have a role to play. Such people should not go unnoticed.”
Col Tony Nyiam
In like manner, Col Tony Nyiam (rtd), lamented: “Oh, what a pity! He is one of Nigeria’s greatest heros, a man who fought the civil war and his role made a change in the war; a man who created what some people came to reap. He was a forthright and courageous soldier. He reflects the story of Nigeria – the real heros are overshadowed by mediocres, those who do their best are poor while the pretentious are rich. May his soul rest in peace.”
Gov Ajimobi: He rescued Nigeria
Governor Abiola Ajimobi of Oyo State described Adekunle’s death as a monumental loss to Nigeria.
According to him, “although Gen. Adekunle has some time now been facing some health challenges, his death at this material time when the country is passing through difficult times, in terms of security and national cohesion is tragic and shocking. The late general was a fine officer-gentleman, a nationalist and patriotic Nigerian who exploited his military expertise to rescue Nigeria from the brink of precipice and ensured that the country remained one indivisible entity”.
Alao-Akala: Difficult to forget him
Also, former governor of Oyo State, Otunba Adebayo Alao-Akala, said the deceased left behind a legacy of patriotism that would be very difficult to forget in the history of Nigeria.
“The contributions of the late army general to the successful end of the civil war in 1970 cannot be erased in the country’s march towards one indivisible entity.
Akala maintained that the gains made in the past through the efforts of the likes of the deceased were being eroded on the altar of religious and ethnic bigotry.
Oba Ajagungbade of Ogbomosho: Death devastating
His royal highness, Oba Jimoh Oyewumi Ajagungbade, the Soun of Ogbomoso, hinted that late Adekunle was his traditional title holder of Ashipa of Ogbomosoland, with his death very shocking and devastating to him.
Soun of Ogbomosoland noted that the contributions of the late army general towards the unity of Nigeria would be difficult to forget.
He called on the Federal Government to find a way of immortalizing him as well as other Nigerians, who had made contributions to the growth and development of the country.
Femi Fani-Kayode: He was the greatest
In his own tribute, Fani-Kayode launched into a treatise: General Benjamin Adekunle was the greatest, the most courageous, the most disciplined and the most effective general in the history of the Nigerian Army.
He was the single reason why the Nigerian Armed Forces prevailed over Biafra during the civil war. He was a great son of the Yoruba and of Nigeria. He led the gallant men of the 3rd Marine Commando into battle personally and he took no prisoners. He was a man of immense courage that Nigeria refused to honour in life and treated very badly after the war and over the years.
It is my sincere hope and prayer that now that he has gone he will be given his proper due and honored by his country. I loved that man. I loved his courage under fire and I loved the role he played not just during the civil war but also during the June 12th struggle when the Yoruba were being killed, incarcerated, persecuted and tormented by the military government of that day. He stood up to tyranny then and his entire life was dedicated to fighting for a noble and just cause.
Back to top Go down
cableman02
Amateur
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Benjamin (Black Scorpion) Adekunle dies at 78   Benjamin (Black Scorpion) Adekunle dies at 78 Empty2014-09-14, 16:48

RIP
Back to top Go down
smile2012
Ultimate
Ultimate

PostSubject: Re: Benjamin (Black Scorpion) Adekunle dies at 78   Benjamin (Black Scorpion) Adekunle dies at 78 Empty2014-09-14, 17:00

Na so...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Benjamin (Black Scorpion) Adekunle dies at 78   Benjamin (Black Scorpion) Adekunle dies at 78 Empty

Back to top Go down

Benjamin (Black Scorpion) Adekunle dies at 78
Page 1 of 1