Naija Talk community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Naija Talk community

Ghana Lotto Results, F-t-a Satellite Technology, Sport forcast, ICT forum.

HomePublicationsSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Safex
Master
Master
Safex

I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Empty
PostSubject: I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms!   I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Empty2015-04-22, 10:58

I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms we often use in the satellite world!

Abeg no form say u sabi dem jawe! Cos if una sabi am, una no go open this thread. Lolz
Anyway sha, since una don agree say una no sabi, I go tell you. Buh sha make sure say u no 4get am o.

Access card:
Also known as a smart card, this is a removable credit card-size plastic card included with each satellite TV receiver. It identifies each receiver within your satellite TV system, stores your programming access, and keeps a record of viewing usage.
[/img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Audio/Video Jacks (usually called AV chord):
Standard definition Satellite TV system receivers would normally include three jacks: one for the video (composite or S-Video), and two for the sound (one for the right channel and one for the left.) The audio jacks are necessary for stereo sound. In the case of a high definition digital satellite TV receiver, this would also include an HDMI output.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Video-audio-jack-isolated-white-background-31908473

Azimuth:
This refers to the horizontal direction of a satellite. In the case of a satellite TV system, it refers to the rotation of the whole satellite dish assembly around a vertical axis, or supporting pole. By definition, North is 0 deg or 360 deg, East is 90 deg, South is 180 deg, and West is 270 deg.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Dish_angle

Bandwidth:
Range of frequencies occupied by a signal or allowed by receiving equipment (basically, what a receiver is capable of receiving). The required bandwidth for a TV channel is 6MHz; this would be able to carry either one analog TV channel or multiple digital TV programs.

Baseband:
The raw satellite TV signal before it is re-modulated to become a signal that is suitable for a TV.

Beam:
A satellite transmission pattern. It may be wide, narrow or spot. This affects the satellites footprint.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! 7405243

Bird:
An alternative name for a satellite.

C-band:
Signal frequency range covering 3.70 to 4.20GHz.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! C_Band_LNB_GH_008C_475

DBS:
This is short for Digital Broadcast Satellites. These high-powered satellites use a Ku-band frequency (12.2 to 12.7 GHz) to deliver programming signals directly to small (18-inch) dishes installed at viewers' homes.

Dielectric plate:
Dielectric plates are used to convert circularly polarized signals (L or R) to linear polarization (H or V).
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Dielec1
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Dielectric%20plate%20copy

Diplexer:
A device that combines two input signals into a single output. It may also be used the other way to split a single input into two outputs. Often used in satellite systems to combine a satellite signal with an over-the-air TV antenna or cable signal for the reception of local channels. A second diplexer is then needed to split the signals at the receiver location.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! 20130724131533640

Digital Audio Broadcasting:
A broadcast standard which describes the method of transmitting digital audio.

Digital Compression:
A process of translating video images into a digital code which takes less transmission space than the original raw signal. This allows more channels per satellite transponder; typical compression levels are four-to-one for live video and eight-to-one for film. However, the level of compression possible depends on the compression technology in use.

DiSEqC™ (Digital Satellite Equipment Control) Switch:
Developed by the satellite builders Eutelsat, originally to enable users to switch between the two popular satellites over Europe -Astra and Eutelsats own Hotbird satellite, it was adopted by most set top box manufacturers and is now standard.
DISEQC 1.0 allows up to 4 lnbs to be switched into one output. DISEQC 1.1 allows up to 16 lnbs into one output. The lnbs can be on one dish or several dishes.
There is a further DISEQC protocol , DISEQC 1.2 , which is used to control a motor or positioner which steers a dish to the right angle to receive signals from a satellite. This was further advanced with USALS which uses the DISEQC commands to select preset positions automatically, without the installer having to program each position.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Diseqc6

Dolby Digital / AC-3 Compatible:
Formerly known as Dolby AC-3, or AudioCoding-3, delivers the movie experience through a maximum of 5.1 channels of surround sound audio. Since the mid-1990's, this Dolby sound format has become the most popular surround sound format in use today.

Dolby Pro Logic:
Dolby Surround technology delivers four channels of audio - Left, Center, Right, and Mono Surround - that are matrix-encoded onto just two audio tracks. These two tracks are then carried on stereo program sources such as TV broadcasts and feature films on VHS.

Downlink:
A signal’s path from satellite to antenna.

DTH:
Direct-to-Home, or DTH, is the official term used by the Federal Communications Commission to refer to the satellite television and broadcasting industries.

DVB:
The Digital Video Broadcast is the broadcast standard for digital radio and television, using MPEG II and MPEG 4 compression. DVB is being supported by all European manufacturers and broadcasters.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! 1264px-Digital_Video_Broadcasting_Logo.svg

Electronic Program Guide (EPG):
A chronological listing of all available programming covering an extended time period (typically covering a period of a few days). This listing displays on your TV screen.

Elevation:
How high a satellite is from the horizon? The angle of elevation refers to the upward tilt of a satellite dish antenna that is required to aim it at the communications satellite, measured in degrees. When the dish is aimed at the horizon, the elevation angle is zero.

Feed Horn:
A device which collects the signals at the focus of the satellite dish and channels them to the LNB.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Satellite-tv-7

Footprint:
An area of the earth that is able to receive a particular satellite’s signals. This depends on the satellite's beam.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! GlorystarFootprint

Hard Reset:
A hard reset is the same as rebooting a computer.

HDTV:
HDTV, or High Definition Television, is a digital television format that combines high-resolution video with theater-like sound to create a movie theater-quality TV viewing experience.
HDTV Formats: 480p(progressive), 720p, 1080i(interlaced), 1080p

HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface)
A proprietary audio/video interface for transferring uncompressed video data and compressed or uncompressed digital audio data from an HDMI-compliant source device.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Hdmi-to-micro-hdmi-cable-p34214-a

IRD (Integrated Receiver Decoder):
A satellite TV system receiver with a built-in decoder for unscrambling subscription channels. It is usually called a satellite receiver.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! DTVS-DSR1

Kbps:
Kbps stands for kilobits per second and refers to the speed of a signal transmission.

KU-band (Kurtz-under band):
Signal frequency range between 11 and 14GHz; it is often used by communications satellites.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Lnb-single-mti

L-Band:
An L-Band is the frequency range from 0.5 to 1.5GHz. All satellite TV systems use this frequency (950 to 1450MHz) to carry the satellite signal from the dish to the receiver.

LNB / LNBF:
Low Noise Block down-converter with integrated feed; amplifies received signals and converts them from microwaves to lower L-band frequency signals which are then sent along a cable to the satellite TV system receiver.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Lnb-twin-mti
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Lnb-quad-mti
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! 003

Mesh dish
A special form of the Prime Focus Antenna. A Mesh dish is made up of some kind of reticule. Just like the normal PFA, a Mesh dish is being used for C band reception using an Egis rotor.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Npkt03

MPEG (Moving Picture Experts Group):
It refers to a set of standards as defined up by the Moving Pictures Experts Group, and that defines the digital signal compression technology used among others, by digital satellite TV systems. Compressing the audio and video signals allows more channels to be broadcast over the same bandwidth. Satellite TV systems use two different versions of this standard:
MPEG2: This format is used for the vast majority of satellite programming, and delivers high-quality picture and sound.
MPEG4: This newer version of MPEG compression is used for delivering high-definition local programming in some markets. Receiving this programming requires the use of an MPEG4-compatible receiver. Newer high-definition receivers are compatible with this format. MPEG4 is more efficient than MPEG2, so it allows more data to be packed into the same amount of space.

Multi-switch (or Multi-satellite Switch or Matrix-switch):
If you want to hook up more receivers than your dish can accommodate, you can use a multi-switch to split up the satellite feed without compromising signal quality. Some multi-switches allow you to add over-the-air broadcasts or cable feeds, to send both signals to each viewing area via a single coax cable. You will need a diplexer for each viewing area to split up the signals again.
Control of the multi-switch is achieved through the use of 13 and 18 volts signals to select between left or right polarization, while the use of 22KHz tone and DiSEqC (digital satellite equipment control) commands are used to switch between different LNB's on the multi-switch.

Noise Figure:
A measure of the performance (noise contribution) of an LNB in decibels; the lower the better.

NTSC:
NTSC stands for the National Television Standards Committee, a video standard established by the United States (RCA/NBC) and adopted by numerous other countries.

Offset dish:
Type of dish with the focus and feed-horn below the center of the dish.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! 1000017_3-off_dish

OTA (Over-the-Air programming):
Refers to various methods of distributing new software updates, configuration settings, and even updating encryption keys to devices like cellphones, set-top boxes or secure voice communication equipment (encrypted 2-way radios). One important feature of OTA is that one central location can send an update to all the users, who are unable to refuse, defeat, or alter that update, and that the update applies immediately to everyone on the channel. A user could "refuse" OTA but the "channel manager" could also kick them off the channel automatically.

Prime Focus Dish:
Is a satellite antenna which is perfectly round. It is absolutely symmetric built and has a parabolic shape. The focal point is in the middle of the dish. That's why the LNB is mounted centrally at the focus, where it can collect all incoming signals. Such a satellite antenna is typically larger than 1.2 meters.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! China_YH180C_II_Prime_Focus_Satellite_Dish_Antenna201051513385510

PVR:
A Personal Video Recorder PVR satellite receiver) has a built in hard drive for digital recording of satellite television programs; these come with a typical 35-hour recording capability and two internal satellite TV system receivers. Dual tuners allow the user to record one program while watching another or record two programs at the same time.

Rain fade:
The loss of signal from the satellite during a heavy rain. This happens more or less to all DBS systems.

Rating Limit:
The rating limit is set by the customer using the main menu. When a system lock is active, this limit controls the viewing of programs that have been assigned a rating level.

Remote Extender (also called remote blaster):
A remote extender is a device that allows you to use an Infrared (IR) remote to control a satellite receiver from another room.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Remote_extender

R/F connectors:
An RF coaxial cable type output on a satellite TV set-top box to connect with old TV sets that do not include separate audio and video connectors. This type of connection do not support stereo audio out from the satellite receiver.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Simonwunxl_165507

RG59: The coaxial cable that is commonly used for cable TV. If a home already has coaxial cable, it probably is RG59. It is a smaller gauge than RG-6.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! RG-59

RG-6:
The type of coaxial cable recommended for digital satellite TV installations. RG-6 is a larger-size cable than the lower-grade RG-59 cable found in most homes. RG-59 has a small center conductor, a small insulating dielectric, and typically, a single outer shield. By comparison, RG-6 has a larger center conductor, a dual or quad shield, and a much larger insulating dielectric, ensuring greater bandwidth, and lower frequency loss per foot.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! 0-RG6

Satellite Dish:
A satellite dish is used to collect signals from a satellite in orbit and focus them to the front of the dish where a feed horn collects them and passes the signals on to the LNB to be amplified and sent to a satellite receiver.

Skew:
This refers to the polarization angle of the electric field. The term 'Dish Skew' refers to the dish tilt necessary to get the satellite dish position such that the LNB will be in exact alignment with the electric field of the incoming satellite signals. Setting the dish skew is necessary only when pointing to more than a single satellite.

Splitter:
A splitter is a passive device or diplexer (one with no active electronic components) which distributes a television signal carried on a cable in two or more paths and sends it to a number of receivers simultaneously.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Bc75369-4way%20splitter

Spot Beam:
A spot beam is a satellite transmission that is focused on a specific area within the footprint, or broadcast area, of the satellite. Satellite providers use spot beams to increase the capacity of channels they can provide, thus allowing the broadcast of more local networks.

Transponder:
It is a satellite component that receives, modulates, amplifies, and re-broadcast a signal back to Earth. More than one television or audio channel can be transmitted over a signal transponder using MPEG compression.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Satellite_transponder

Ultra high frequency (UHF):
The ITU designation for radio frequencies in the range between 300 MHz and 3 GHz, also known as the decimetre band as the wavelengths range from one to ten decimetres. Radio waves with frequencies above the UHF band fall into the SHF (super-high frequency) or microwave frequency range

Uplink:
A signal’s path from the earth to a satellite.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Uplink_downlink

Very high frequency (VHF):
The ITU designation[1] for the range of radio frequency electromagnetic waves (radio waves) from 30 MHz to 300 MHz, with corresponding wavelengths of ten to one meters. Frequencies immediately below VHF are denoted high frequency (HF), and the next higher frequencies are known as ultra high frequency (UHF).
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Frequencies

Widescreen:
Term given to picture displays with a wider aspect ratio than PAL/NTSC 4:3. Digital HDTV is 16:9 widescreen. Most motion pictures have a widescreen aspect ratio, often wider than 16:9.
I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! 301bc.5
Back to top Go down
Safex
Master
Master
Safex

PostSubject: Re: I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms!   I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Empty2015-04-29, 14:02

i'm sure many pple (including @smile sef Laughing ) no even sabi d full meaning of IRIB - Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting
Back to top Go down
isaac311
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sex : Male

PostSubject: Re: I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms!   I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Empty2015-04-29, 17:20

interesting info.
Back to top Go down
Twogoods
Expert
Expert
Twogoods

PostSubject: Re: I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms!   I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Empty2015-04-29, 18:37

Na wa
Back to top Go down
http://www.fb.com/inforNaij
faithchild
Senior
Senior

Sex : male

PostSubject: Re: I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms!   I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Empty2015-04-29, 19:22

@safex i hope say u no de amomg d people dem rescue for sambisa forest.so u get this type of info.u come keep am to urself.nice info.well done.
Back to top Go down
isaac311
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms!   I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Empty2015-04-29, 19:54

this is extremely helpful.
Back to top Go down
isaac311
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms!   I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Empty2015-04-29, 19:57

this is extremely helpful.
Back to top Go down
Safex
Master
Master
Safex

PostSubject: Re: I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms!   I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Empty2015-04-29, 21:14

faithchild wrote:
@safex i hope say u no de amomg d people dem rescue for sambisa forest.so u get this type of info.u come keep am to urself.nice info.well done.
lolz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms!   I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms! Empty

Back to top Go down

I bet you don't know the (full) meaning of these abbreviations and terms!
Page 1 of 1